Re: Naming convention?

From: J.P. <jp_boileau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 12:27:53 -0700

Percival,

One reason to keep a naming convention on indexes is this one:

If you ever need to put hints in your SQL code to force the use of a certain index, a name with significance is greatly appreciated.

For instance:

SELECT /*+ INDEX(CUSTOMERS CUSTOMERS_CUSTID) */    CUST_NAME
FROM
   CUSTOMERS
WHERE
   CUST_ID = :MyCustID

Now that is a LOT more significant than:

SELECT /*+ INDEX(CUSTOMERS CUSTOMER_INDEX01) */    CUST_NAME
FROM
   CUSTOMERS
WHERE
   CUST_ID = :MyCustID