Re: exchange partition and transport tablespace with unique constraints

From: John Summers <john.summers_at_medtronic.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 09:39:05 -0700

Thanks for the info... I recreated my index as "not unique" and went about my business. I'm now working on what to do with these transported tablespace datafiles (which total 10G+ for each month). The fact that you can import them from just about anywhere is nice. I freed up a volume for this purpose... did the import and then, with all my main partitioned tables constraints in "enabled novalidate rely" mode, I did the exchange partition. And it worked... ? The problem is, I originally had to disable all of these partitions to get the exchange and export to work in the first place. How is it that I can now put them back without needing to disable anything? I'm lost again... although this would be a nice feature if true, but I can't figure out why this is working (and that may mean that it is not).

 John.

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a8lukp$ca7$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Funny, there's a note in one of the Oracle doco's saying 'you are advised
> not to use unique indexes'. I can't remember where this was (it related to
> something I was looking up in 8.1.6). And the particular paragraph that
> contained this gem didn't elaborate as to why they weren't to be used.....
> but I remember being quite pleased to discover that statement there, because
> I've been telling people for years to avoid unique indexes like the plague,
> at least so far as constraint enforcement is concerned.
snip...