Re: should we converting to sql server?

From: Niall Litchfiel <Guest.2w40t_at_timelimit.pandora.be>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:40:12 GMT

My opinion , for what its worth, is that you would need to revisit all your
application code, retrain your key database staff including programmers(or
sack them and buy some new ones who don't know your business but do know
MSSQL), migrate all your data, change your backup and recovery implementation and redocument all of your db processes. NB this isn't an
Oracle fanatic speaking, you would need to do this moving the other way as
well.

for example consider the following statements.

update emp set sal = 1.1*sal where empno = 10; insert into emp_audit(empno,change_made) values (10,'rasied salary 10 pct');
commit;

easy enough to understand and behave differently between the platforms. On
MSSQL this could give you a salary raise with NO audit trail. This (undesirable effect) would never happen in the original Oracle system.

I am not convinced (to say the least) that the reduced licence costs outweigh the costs shown above. What you *could* do is train the appropriate
staff and your db processes as outlined above for NEW projects. This is not
an unreasonable approach (though it may not actually save any cash).

Changing database platforms can be appropriate for a number of reasons -
saving money on software is unlikely to be one of them.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

-- Niall Litchfiel - Unregistered User ------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread: http://homer-w2k:7802/baanboard/showthread.php?threadid=6957