Re: The simple "Can I extend" question

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 01:41:59 -0700

Not withstanding that fact that a tablespace being x% full has no bearing on whether a segment within it will be able to extend, I'm curious on how the myriad of 3rd party db monitoring tools out there are planning on coping with system-alloc LMT's.

Considering that system-alloc LMT's are the default in 9i, it reasonable to expect a proliferation of applications that will use them. Interestingly, the current iterations of Oracle Applications uses dictionary-managed tspaces which are then converted to LMT's - I wonder if this has been done to avoid the null NEXT_EXTENT (or whether it was just easier for them to do it this way)

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments for the small set of cases where uniform LMT's can be mandated - which is my original post discounted that scenario from discussion.

Cheers
Connor

Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk