Re: How Is The Job Market for Oracle DBA's?

From: Simon Gottesman <sgotte_at_prodigy-nospamplease.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:05:23 GMT

Just a short diatribe about this point you make: "rather than H1's in whose case the employee has to come to US and has to be paid the current market rate."

H1 visa sponsorship has probably led to many cases of legalized indentured servitude. I used to know this guy here in New York whose boss hadn't paid him in months (4, if I'm not mistaken). He was living off the little that he had left from his first few months in the states, when he was getting a regular salary. Who could he complain to, the Labor Department? His boss would revoke his visa sponsorship in a second, and he'd be forced to go back on his merry ol' way to India. I strongly doubt that his case is unique. Thus, to suggest that people here on H1s get paid a comparable salary to regular workers is probably false if this practise of non-payment of salary is more widespread. Which it very well most likely is; what benefit is there for an employer to pay for the airplane tickets and the sponsorship to get some guy from India over here in order to pay him the same amount that he could pay an equally qualified person who is already here and doesn't need sponsorship? The benefit most likely comes when he avoids paying the guy for months, and then only in "installments".

-Simon