Re: How Is The Job Market for Oracle DBA's?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:59:50 GMT

Dusan Bolek doodled thusly:

>The problem of CIO is that it's usually a short time job. This manager
>lasts on his chair for year or two and then move on, with his CV full
>of accomplishments like "reducing IT costs in BrainWashing Limited to
>20% of its original size" or "optimalisation of IT HR costs in Chapter
>5 Group using modern IT management strategy" (which means sack
>everyone with more than 50k$ anually and pay 500k$ for the same work
>for consultants from International Certified Freshmen). So someone
>else can take this job after him and next year write on CV
>"consolidation of IT department of BrainWashing Limited from scratch"
>or "reducing outsourcing IT costs using latest business strategies
>(kick of ICF and hiring United IT Seniors of Gurunduvaju).

Too right. I just finished 12 months of sheer heck with a "by the book" project manager that wouldn't understand the first thing about long term consequences if it hit him between the eyes, and this is exactly the attitude. This guy would penny pinch on salaries lije the best of them, but gladly lead the customer up the garden path of purchasing software they didn't need without the sloghtest qualm.

It's what I call the "Hit-and-Run" approach: do the damage and get the bloody heck out of it before anyone can pin the medium and long term consequences on you.

Quite widespread. At all levels, not just CEO or CIO.

>The only way for real IT professional to survive this mess is to find
>proper company with sane management and long term survival strategy.
>There are still these companies and after all hope is something to die
>last. :-)

Yes, but it ain't easy...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Apr 09 2002 - 06:59:50 CDT