Slow down of query?

From: Percival Boqais <pb_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:57:32 GMT

Trying to figure out a problem. I am a programmer, trying to help the DBA. We have IIS 4, ASP code talking to a VB DLL. The VB DLL then runs queries against an Oracle database and brings back the data to the ASP page via pipe delimited strings.

We have one particular query which is actually using a view repeated times, in the DLL. In other words, it brings back a list of Projects from the DB, then calls the view to determine the Tasks (sub-level) and ETC on each task. The view accesses about eight or nine tables. The table with the most records by far has roughly 70,000 records. The rest of the tables have less than 2,000 records.

Recently, this view started running very slowly. I don't know what went on at the database side of things, but it's slow. I ruled ouf the web server, as I accessed the DLL directly via a VB sandbox, it was slow there too. The view consists of joins. Granted, on the 70,000 record table, there aren't indexes where they should be, but it's always been like that, even before things slowed down. As of last Thursday, the view which used to be fairly snappy, is now slow.

I would say every week, 2-3,000 records are added to the 70,000 record table. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of limit that's been hit, or quota reached (tablespace?). I don't know as I'm not a DBA. Does anyone else know why this would slow down? Sorry for the lack of details.

~ PB Received on Mon Apr 08 2002 - 22:57:32 CDT