Re: NOLOGGING Option on Create Table

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2002 18:08:14 -0700

In article <3CB1BF8A.C6C07561_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel says...

>I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one. About six or seven years ago I was
>at
>Boeing and lobbied Oracle heavily to do something for data warehouse
>applications. I
>was running Oracle 7.3.x on Amdahl mainframes and had to truncate every table on
>Friday night and have hundreds of gigabytes of data loaded on an all-or-nothing
>basis
>by Monday morning. That anything might slow it down or cause a failure ... be it
>rollback or logging, or whatever was a constant source of pain.
>
>I'd have gladly suffered the slings and arrows of unhappy management once or
>twice a
>year when hardware failed rather than the weekly grind of being stoned because
>the
>data load wasn't completed on time.
>
>What would be nice ... would be a feature in PL/SQL that duplicates the
>functionality
>of DIRECT LOAD in SQL*Loader. Something like a BULK COLLECT followed by writing
>blocks directly bypassing the SQL engine.

you have it in 9i with

o pipelined functions (PLSQL that can act like a table) o external tables
o insert /*+ APPEND */

it is a "bulk direct path loader" (thats the insert /*+ append */) that is fed by a plsql routine (the pipelined function) that in turn can read from external flat files the likes of which you would normally process with sqlldr.