Re: NOLOGGING Option on Create Table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:04:32 GMT

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one. About six or seven years ago I was at Boeing and lobbied Oracle heavily to do something for data warehouse applications. I was running Oracle 7.3.x on Amdahl mainframes and had to truncate every table on Friday night and have hundreds of gigabytes of data loaded on an all-or-nothing basis by Monday morning. That anything might slow it down or cause a failure ... be it rollback or logging, or whatever was a constant source of pain.

I'd have gladly suffered the slings and arrows of unhappy management once or twice a year when hardware failed rather than the weekly grind of being stoned because the data load wasn't completed on time.

What would be nice ... would be a feature in PL/SQL that duplicates the functionality of DIRECT LOAD in SQL*Loader. Something like a BULK COLLECT followed by writing blocks directly bypassing the SQL engine.

How about it Tom?

Daniel Morgan