Re: How to change the character set

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 06:49:51 +0200

On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 02:59:01 GMT, "Zasp" <evgenizasypkin_at_attbi.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>You did not say Oracle version you are running.
>Anyway, there is a table named props$ in SYS schema.
>You can update that table and set character set for your
>database you would like to.
>For example as user sys run:
> update props$ set value$='CL8MSWIN1251' where
>name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';
>After that restart your database and it will run with new
>characterset. Just remember, if you made a mistake
>and put not exist characterset you will not able to start database.
>All your already saved data in the database will not useful.
>
>Regards.
>Zasp.

This advise is absolutely dangerous. It won't work on Oracle 8i and higher, and any direct update of the data dictionary will make you invalidate your support contract.
DON'T FOLLOW THIS STUPID ADVISE! Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Apr 07 2002 - 23:49:51 CDT