Re: one big tables vs. many smaller

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 15:51:20 +0100

There are things that are far more important than performance in a database: One of them is data integrity.

One huge flat file may well outperform two or three tables with an inner/outer join. But you can not guarantee data integrity?

I sometimes denormalize for performance ... but only in response to an actual performance issue ... one that comes to my attention from a specific end-user complaint and where that complaint can not be dealt with my some other means. But even then, only if I can absolutely guarantee that data integrity and security will not be compromised.

Daniel Morgan