Re: checksum error on Oracle8i tar file

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:44:20 +0200

"Ron G" <rgigun_at_sprynet.com> wrote in message news:3CB07029.698F_at_sprynet.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've downloaded the Oracle 8i for Linux (Intel) from www.oracle.com, and
> tried to tar xvf it on a Solris 8 server that's also Intel based (the
> Solaris Sparc version doesn't work on it). I get a "directory checksum
> error. I tried downloading it again with the same results. Could that be
> related to the fact that it is not opened on a Linux server? If so,does
> anyone know of a way to install Oracle database on a Solaris Intel
> server? Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Unixes are not filesystem compatible. It is pretty useless to even try the Linux version on Solaris for Intel: It won't work. As far as Oracle is concerned Solaris for Intel is a dead platform, 8.1.7 is the last version for this O/S
You can still order it from the Oracle Store, but you might want to reconsider your options.

That all said: please do not cross or multipost. You won't get a bigger audience, nor better responses, you will waste bandwith and people's time.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA