Re: importing tablespace file

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 22:59:05 +0200

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 19:25:45 GMT, "larry" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>Greetings
>I have been trying to find a way to import a tablespace file into a
>different (same version - 8i) oracle installation.
>
>I understand the correct way would be to export it from the first
>installation and import it into the second. Unfortunately the first
>installation is quite dead and all I have is the *.dbf tablespace files.
>
>Any suggestions/solutions? TIA and much appreciated.
>Larry

The conventional method would be to export all the objects in the tablespace.
In 8i you have transportable tablespaces, and you can plug the tablespace into a different database.
However both scenarios assume a live,operational database. You state all you have are the .dbf files. That would mean you have 2 options
- if you have enough money in your pockets you can hire someone from OTS who brings in Data UnLoader.
- the other option would be just throw away the dbf files as you can do absolutely nothing with them.

It seems this is the traditional case of people reading the backup and recovery documentation *after* disaster has struck.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:59:05 CST