Re: NOLOGGING Option on Create Table

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 20:13:30 +0200

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 16:27:58 GMT, "Tom Hoffmann" <tom.hoffmann_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I included the NOLOGGING option on a "create table ..." statement, but it
>is not having the desired affect. Updates to the table are still being
>logged and archived.
>
>The problem is that a vendor product is using an Oracle table as a
>"process queue" which is generating too many redo log entries, and
>subsequently too many archived redo logs. During our tests, we are
>archiving 30MB per minute for a 100 person simulation. There will be over
>500 persons on the system in production. I want to reduce this archiving
>to minimize logger overhead and to conserve disk space.
>
>Should this option have the affect I'm looking for? We have also thought
>of moving the table to its own database with noarchivelog, but that seems
>like overkill. Seems there should be dsome way to do this. The rows in
>this table are transitory and I will never need to recover them.

The nologging option basically applies to direct path operations only. So that means
using direct=y in sqlloader
using the append hint in an insert statement running a create table bla nologging as select * from another bla

If you are discussing 'too many redo log entries' or 'too many archived redo logs' that just looks like a disk space issue. Disk, however, is cheap and it would be pennywise and poundfoolish to implement any of the measures you are proposing instead of buying another disk.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Apr 06 2002 - 12:13:30 CST