Re: 9i Referential Integrity Locking

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:16:00 +0100

It depends on the front-end tools.

Some application generators (including Oracle*FORMS, up to 4.5, and then you have to set the switch) will perform an update by updating every single column on the table.

So you may not think you are updating the primary key, but the application code is doing it for you, and even a 'update with changing the value' causes the PK/FK lock to take place.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar - UK, April 3rd - 5th

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

<3cae1606_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...