Re: Create a DBLINK from a Oracle 8i DB to an Oracle 7 database ?

From: Marty Phee <martyphee_at_no_spmmm_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 00:57:42 GMT

Yes it's possible, and easy. I have this running in a production environment. The syntax changed between 7 and 8 I believe.

I don't have the syntax in front of me. Make sure to have the other db in your tnsnames.ora. You need to use the sid of the db you want to connect to, something like this:

create dblink [sid] using [user] identified by [pwd] for [tnsnames_entry].

So then I did:

create public synonym xyz for table_at_sid;

Something like that. The sid part was important for my setup. I wasn't able to supply my own name. We tried to move a db from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6, and found that our dblink's wouldn't work anymore.