Re: Binding Variable Benefit Across Sessions ?

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2002 14:17:42 -0800

"R Chin" <rchin_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:<a8kua5$52t$1_at_news.panix.com>...
> Thanks guys !
> I should have said 'ONE single DYNAMIC SQL'
>
> So if SessionA fired 'select X form TABOA where X = :w'
> and SessionB fired 'select Y form TABOA where X = :z'
>
> Now the hash_values are different, no ?
> is there gonna be a hard parse then ?
>
> robert

  That will definitely be another hard parse. The hash values are   different.

  I may be wrong on this, but there is another scenario I believe   that even the hash values ARE the same, there is still a hard parse.   That is, the objects in the 2 SQLs although having the same names,   but are actually different objects.

  If user A issues: select * from emp; and user B issues the same   later. But each user has its own emp. Then Oracle has to hard parse   again. The SQL although is shared in a common location, the parse   trees have to be stored twice in 2 different locations. The latter   are usually much bigger. In that case, even if you use bind variables   and the hash value is the same, your are still not sharing your SQLs. Received on Fri Apr 05 2002 - 16:17:42 CST