Re: HELP! need to clone a server but got stuck

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 21:03:15 GMT

Yuck, you just can't go copying DBFs and throw them somewhere else and bring up an instance.

I don't suppose the dbnames and SID's differ, do they?

There a bunch of different things or multiple things that could be wrong.

Look at dba_tablespaces and dba_datafiles and find out where your REDOs are and how big, use Orainst (preferably the same one you used to build the other database), make sure your block sizes, maxdatafiles and such are the same as in the first, after verifying the file names and locations on the new machine. Refer to the Utilities Reference Manual on recovery backups and restores, and do a complete export of database 1, when it is in RESTRICTED mode and you've bounced and restarted it that way, followed by an incremental export, which should have nearly nothing in it.

Go to the other machine, import the incremental first as INCTYPE=SYSTEM, then your complete as RESTORE and import the incremental again as INCTYPE=RESTORE. Read the Export and Import sections of the Utilities Reference Manual before you attempt this.

If global_names is true, your test database ought to have a different $ORACLE_SID and dbname; we always make those the same, so we'd have, say D1 as the SID, the DBNAME, and how it's known to the network; and P1 the same way. If the test box must look exactly like production, make sure the databases do not know about each other.

I never liked cloning databases by file copy, something always seems to go wrong.

RSH.