Re: Odd statement in docs regarding block size

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 03:47:06 +1000

This is the same documentation that says SYSTEM can be created locally managed, which is only true of 9i release 2. I wouldn't therefore pay it too much attention on this issue; it is simply wrong if it implies 8K is the only permitted block size on NT. I do 16K every time.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message

> Restating my original post, with clarification . . . .
>
> My systems are Ora 8.0.5 or Ora 8.1.7 on NT
>

> In looking for information on an entirely unrelated Oracle issue, I came
across
> the following statement in the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide
> Release 2 (8.1.6) for Windows NT, Chapter 1, "Oracle8i Differences between
> Windows NT and UNIX"
>
> <quote regarding the NT implementation>
> The Oracle block size is 8K. The maximum number of blocks per data file is
4
> million. The maximum number of data files per database depends on block
size.
> </quote>
>
> Hmm. "The Oracle block size _IS_ 8K. " (emphasis mine). This would
> indicate to me that the Oracle block size in NT is a fixed value,
rendering the
> init parameter DB_BLOCK_SIZE useless. Based on earlier readings (much,
MUCH
> earlier, back at 7.3 when we were charged with bringing up our first
Oracle db