Re: Odd statement in docs regarding block size

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:02:09 GMT

Restating my original post, with clarification . . . .

My systems are Ora 8.0.5 or Ora 8.1.7 on NT

In looking for information on an entirely unrelated Oracle issue, I came across the following statement in the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide Release 2 (8.1.6) for Windows NT, Chapter 1, "Oracle8i Differences between Windows NT and UNIX"

<quote regarding the NT implementation>

The Oracle block size is 8K. The maximum number of blocks per data file is 4 million. The maximum number of data files per database depends on block size.
</quote>

Hmm. "The Oracle block size _IS_ 8K. " (emphasis mine). This would indicate to me that the Oracle block size in NT is a fixed value, rendering the init parameter DB_BLOCK_SIZE useless. Based on earlier readings (much, MUCH earlier, back at 7.3 when we were charged with bringing up our first Oracle db without even
knowing how to spell Oracle) we have that parm set to 4096 in all of our databases.

Hmm. Then, after asserting that the block size *is* 8k, it goes on to say "The . . . number . . . depends on block size.", implying that block size is *not* a fixed value.

I guess it really does matter what the meaning of "is" is . . . .

Comments? Received on Fri Apr 05 2002 - 11:02:09 CST