Re: Problem with two databases on the same system

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:41:05 GMT

Howard J. Rogers doodled thusly:

>Well, to start with, I wouldn't check what I was connected to by selecting
>global_name. That can pretty much be set to anything you like, and
>dynamically too. Select * from v$instance or v$database is more reliable.

Howard, have you had a look at that new stuff with SYS_CONTEXT? First came across it on 8.1.7. Wasn't in 8.1.6. Is it in 9i still?

select SYS_CONTEXT("USERENV","DBNAME") from dual (or words to this effect)

does what I mean. Cool stuff and doesn't need authorisations setup for v$*. Wonder if it's something that's gonna stay?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Apr 05 2002 - 05:41:05 CST