Re: To or not to hot backup the TEMP space

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:01:45 +1000

Disagree. If it's dictionary managed temporary tablespace (ie, the 'temporary' keyword was tacked on to the end of the regular 'create tablespace' command), then the fact that it's dictionary managed is irrelevant: there still cannot be anything of permanent interest contained within it.

It is true that you won't get your database open without such datafiles, but a quick 'alter database datafile X offline drop' does the business. An 'alter database open' followed by a 'drop tablespace temp' and a 'create tablespace temp' completes the business.

Given that temporary tablespaces can be huge, it seems pointless madness to back it up, ever, unless you've got all the time in the world in which to do your backups, and all the disk space or tape space you could ever ask for.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com