Re: URGENT: Need to move TS from ufs to vxfs file system

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:56:08 +1000

As I said, it makes no difference how you did it, so long as you did it. It also shouldn't matter whether you copied or moved the file. As I hope you demonstrated by testing the procedure on the play tablespace.

So that worked, but the real file doesn't.

Mmmm. You're also correct that an Oracle block is an oracle block, so that shouldn't be it.

The change in O/S block size could be an issue, since an Oracle block is really just a logical collection of O/S blocks: at the end of the day, it's what it gets physically stored at that's important, and that's the O/S block size. So long as the Oracle blocksize is a multiple of the O/S one, though, it shouldn't matter. And again, the fact that you performed the test successfully by transferring one file across and it working OK indicates that the problem probably lies elsewhere (otherwise the test wouldn't have worked either, would it?!).

I suggested you should run dbv against the real file (db verify), to check for corruption. I ruled that out because I assumed you'd copied the file back, but since you point out that you didn't need to do that (because the original was still in situ after the first copy), I'd still suggest a quick dbv file=path_and_name_of_veritas_file blocksize=8192. The report is measured in "pages" (which just means Oracle blocks), and it gives us some assurance that the copy is clean.

The only other thing I can think of right now is: how big is this file? Perhaps there are issues with filesizes on Veritas (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrell here, can you tell?)

Let us know about dbv.
Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com