Re: sort_area_size / sort_area_retained_size

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:43:24 +1000

Comments below
Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Stan" <stan0074_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi howard,
>
> If i set my sort_area_size to 10m, then whenever the demand for sort
> is finished, won't it retain the said memory in
> sort_area_retained_size ?

No, Stan. That's not what the word 'retained' means. The retained size is what is held by the system after the initial collection of the rows, in order to be able to perform the merge phase (where the partial sorts swapped to disk are merged together and fetched back to you as a single, sorted collection of rows). Once the merge phase has completed, retained_size drops back to zero, too. In other words, retained_size is memory that's retained for final processing of the sort, not retained for the lifetime of a session. No one has any sort_area memory at all, retained or otherwise, unless they are using it.
> Also, what percentage of sort_area_size should be kept to
> sort_area_retaied_size in general? any caveats.
I always make retained 100% of the basic sort_area_size. Regards HJR

> > Stick 'em up high. If you've got lots of disk sorts, the sort_area_size
is
> > too low. Throw some more numbers at it, and they should go away -or most
of
> > them at any rate.
> >
> > Bear in mind that until a user starts actually doing a sort, s/he
doesn't
> > actually possess any sort_area_size at all, whatever the parameter file
> > might say. It's a limit to which the thing can grow on demand -and once
the
> > demand's finished, it shrinks back down.
> >
> > 10Mb sounds like a good starting point to me.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Stan" <stan0074_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > actually we have a hybrid of oltp and dss in a database and right now
> > > have 1mb for sort_area_size and 512k for sort_area_retained_size.

> > determine

Oracle