Re: Recover Help Please - needs more recovery

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:25:17 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Yup. Easy. Make sure that no data files exist from a time more recent than
> the control file. The only time I can think you need a 'using backup
> controlfile' is if you are restoring a binary version of the control file,
> and if it is from a time before the data files (or the online redo logs,
> I'll concede!).

Or if you've just recreated your controlfile (typically using the sql generated from an 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' command). A common scenario where this would arise is after cloning a database from a hotbackup. You're renaming the database, so you must recreate the controlfile. You also then need to recover the hotbackup to make it consistent, hence the "using backup controlfile" clause is required.

Regards,
Sean Received on Thu Apr 04 2002 - 09:25:17 CST