Re: Import/Export a delimited text file?

From: Gary YU <gary.yu_at_istark.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2002 06:58:29 -0800

gary.yu_at_istark.com (Gary YU) wrote in message news:<5483713a.0204030822.3e70c064_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Oracle, I just wondered, is there any tools that can export
> a table into delimited text file, or import a delimited text file from
> other source(excel, Informix...)?
>
> when I'm using imp/exp, I can't modify the dump file, and I have to
> DROP the table completely before I re-import it.
>
> any idea will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

Thanks guys,

that's all great ideas, and it's true that painful to understand all the parameter on imp/exp and SQLloader ;(

I have got a solution yesterday on how to export delimited text files, by using a oracle front-end tool called Toad(free download from the internet), you can select * from some_table, and save the result in various format, really cool. Howard was right, I can also use spool in sqlplus, only trouble is when I try to export a table wiht 70 collumns, I have to write all the collumn names and '||' in the select sql statement, and then I found that I can 'desc table_name' and spool the result to a text file, then use some text editor to "cut" only the collumn names and make them into the select sql statement -- it's so fun to find out new solutions.

thanks again!
Gary Received on Thu Apr 04 2002 - 08:58:29 CST