Re: Indexes in Union Views

From: Rolf Unger <rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de>
Date: 4 Apr 2002 06:33:35 -0800

"Dieter Buecherl" <Dieter.Buecherl_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:<a8fqrh$9u3$00$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> since the table data are disjunct,
> wouldn't a UNION ALL improve performance
> by avoiding unnecessary sorting?
>
> We've done the same before and
> I think there are valid reasons for this type of design:
>
> Oracle Standard Edition (=> no Partitioning)
> and a requirement for fast Purging of old records
> (by truncating a table)

Thanks, that's exactly our situation:
Instead of purchasing the proper licence (Enterprise & Partitioning) we decided to save some money and to implement the features manually. Every other month I find myself thinking "Hm, we really should have decided to ..." ;-\

Anyway UNION ALL doesn't sound to bad, I should have a closer look at it in the Oracle Docs.

Thanks again.

Rolf. Received on Thu Apr 04 2002 - 08:33:35 CST