Oracle Enterprise Manager to manage different instances with different versions on different machines

From: K De Weerd <kdew1508_at_freebel.be>
Date: 4 Apr 2002 04:41:08 -0800

We are considering setting up OEM to manage several if not all of our instances. I'm trying to get a clear picture of the things that would be needed and done to set it up flawless.

Running on OpenVMS :

7.3.2.3.0
7.3.3.4
7.3.4.4

Sunning on Solaris :
Different versions both 8.1.6 and 8.1.7, both 32bit as 64 bit

AFAIK after investigating the info I can find on the web using both Oracle and other sites is :

OEM is best installed on a NT or 2000 environment. We'd possibly use a somewhat standard PC with sufficient resources to continuesly run a small Oracle instance containing the repository. After installing OEM we'd have to enable Orafcle Server Manager. I could not find a reference that this requires additional installation (?).

Both on this machine as on every machine running instances we'd like to manage through OEM, we have to install an Oracle Intelligent Agent.

Here's a question :
Using different versions of Oracle server, what version of the agent needs to be installed? Can or must we install the latest version of the agent as supplied with the installation CD of OEM 2.2, or do we need to install agent versions appropriate for the version of Oracle Server running on that particular machine?

Or even :
Is it at all possibly tu use OEM 2.2 to manage even the older versions of Oracle Server?

More generally :
Do we need to consider any performance issue?

I'd appreciate ANY information one can provide me with. Even just a link to a clear site can be helpfull.

TIA K De Weerd Received on Thu Apr 04 2002 - 06:41:08 CST