Re: SQLNET.ORA

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:06:38 +1000

Listener.ora tells us what to establish connections to. Tnsnames.ora tells us how to get in touch with the Listener. Sqlnet.ora tells us some of the attributes that should apply to the connection when we *do* finally get in touch. Should encryption be used? Should we assume a default domain name? Should we be using Kerberos or Radius authentication? Should, indeed, we be using tnsnames to establish the connection at all, or instead be looking for a names server, a directory service, host naming etc?

Since these questions all have default answers, it's perfectly possible to not have a sqlnet.ora at all. You only need one when your particular environment demands answers which aren't the default.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com