Re: Recover Help Please - needs more recovery

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:19:11 +1000

"Paul Kohlmiller" <pkohlmil_at_best.com> wrote in message news:H9Rq8.3799$Yb1.17276_at_sea-read.news.verio.net...
> I am reading your book and it may help me. But I wonder if any of the
> following are possible:
> 1. If I say recover database using backup controlfile until cancel, then
> type Cancel, it just says media recovery cancelled. If I leave out the
> "using backup controlfile" it simply tells me that I have to use it and
> quits immediately. Anyway to get it to stop insisting on the backup
> controlfile?

Yup. Easy. Make sure that no data files exist from a time more recent than the control file. The only time I can think you need a 'using backup controlfile' is if you are restoring a binary version of the control file, and if it is from a time before the data files (or the online redo logs, I'll concede!). If it demands that you use it, you must use it: it doesn't ask for it unless it's unhappy with the lack of consistency between the control file and everything else.

> 2. Is it possible take the system tablespace file offline, recover the
> datafile and bring it back online?

Nope. You can never, ever, take the system tablespace offline. That's what a shutdown is for.

> 3. I don't have a set of backup files for the entire database at the point
> before things got screwy (that part in your book where you say "sack the
dba
> trainee" - well that's kind of me only I never exactly volunteered to be
dba
> trainee). Is it possible to create a new datafile(6.4.4 in your book) for
> the system tablespace that would cause me to lose all users but still be
> able to get at the user's data that is in another tablespace?

No. The rule about creating a new data file is that you must possess all archives since the time that the file was originally created. Since SYSTEM is created at database creation, the chances of you having to hand all archives since then are pretty slim, I'd say.

>Or is it true
> that losing the system tablespace means all hope is gone?

Pretty close, I'm afraid. There's data in there which describes exactly what tables are made up of which columns, where they are stored physically, and so on. Lose that, and you're stuffed. You can't just unplug a datafile and expect to be able to get at its contents without something to tell you where to look and what to look for (which is precisely what 8i's transportable tablespaces is all about, of course). Oracle will have tools that can poke inside the datafile and extract raw data. Third party products, I'm sure, exist that do the same job (but don't ask me what they are -perhaps someone else here will know). It won't be pretty. And it will cost an arm and a leg. How deep are your pockets?

Sorry.

You mentioned the backup was taken years ago? Any idea how it was taken? Hot, cold, lukewarm?

Regards
HJR
> Thanks,
> Paul K
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > Paul Kohlmiller wrote:
> >
> > > To prevent excessive laughter I won't tell you what I did to the
system
> > > tablespace datafile. Let's just say it was missing for a while and
then
> > > replaced and Oracle did not like that one little bit. I'm surprised it
> let
> > > me do that while the database was running but "root" can indeed do
> > > anything. I have tried various recover options including "backup
> > > controlfile". Now it insists that I say that all the time. I do have
> have
> > > redo logs and recover says it must use on of those file to get change
X.