Re: sort_area_size / sort_area_retained_size

From: markag <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2002 16:12:43 GMT

Stan wrote:
> I see lots of disk sorts on my statpack reports, so how do i determine
> the average sort_area_size and sort_area_retained_size that needs to
> increased based on concurrent disk sorts ?
> Any advise!
> thanks in advance, Stan

What are they now? recommendations for OLTP systems can be 64K to 256K; Batch processes are higher, 20-50M. My OLTP setting is actually 2M.

You just need to play with it...

This from an Oracle book I am reading....it really depends on # of users, total physical memory, size of the process being performed, etc. Total Physical Memory is the key though. You usually want Oracle to use as much memory as possible without forcing swapping to disk at the OS level.

Anyway, the two params should be set to the same value usually.