Re: TEMP tablespace grows all the time!

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:51:31 GMT

Reading the document you referenced (and as you state in your final sentence), it seems to imply that just the OPPOSITE (of earlier statements in this thread) is the problem: creating a temporary tablespace with tempfiles ("create temporary tablespace temp tempfile xxx...") causes the sort segments not to be dropped until the instance is shutdown, and that SMON will drop the sort segments for "PERMANENT" temporary tablespaces, created via the first statement ("create tablespace temp datafile xxx temporary...").

In simpler language, if your database needs to be up 24x7, don't use "create temporary tablespace...." Use "create tablespace ... temporary" instead.