oracle 7 tns_listener TCPIP

From: Jan Lessing <lessing_at_med.uni-goettingen.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:52:03 +0200

Hi,

I need your help with an oracle system in my departement.

We are using an oracle 7 database server under novel netware 3.12 with different SQL*Forms DOS based client PCs. This system is getting older an older an we want to renew it step by step. First of all, I want to get access to the database server from a "modern" PC, running Linux SuSe 7.3 with all the Oracle 9i client libs installed. I just want to write a perl script which gives me some data of the oracle 7 database to work with them.

I started trying to connect to the novell based oracle server from the linux system and I ran in trouble which I can't solve. On the novell netware server I installed a TCP/IP module (I can ping the oracle server from the linux pc), but there is no ORACLE LISTENER novell module running on the server. If I try to get in contact with the server using netmgr on the linux system I always get an error like:

ORA-12541: TNS: no listener

I think it is because on the novell server there is no tcp/ip oracle listener module installed. In the old Oracle 7 documentation they are just talking about SPX listeners and a module like this is running (for the DOS based SQL*Forms clients). They never talk about a TCP/IP based module.

Is there a module or how should I manage the contact problem between the linux-tcpip-based PC and the Oracle 7-netware 3.12-based databaseserver?

Thanks for your help, Ciao Jan Lessing Received on Wed Apr 03 2002 - 06:52:03 CST