Re: L:ist - Can do/do better in MS SQL than Oracle

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:21:53 +0100

Sean M wrote:

> Connor McDonald wrote:
> >
> > Databases ranging from 1G to 1000G (people make a lot of mobile phone
> > calls in the UK)
>
> OK, so, for the big boys (>500 gig), how often did they take full
> backups? How often did they restore them? How long did it take?
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Can't remember off hand but every database in the organisation was backed up every night, and most of them had large batch windows as well (that the backups were typically scheduled around). Also a "cold rman" backup each weekend (ie startup mount, then rman) - that one wasn't my idea - but mgt felt "more comfortable" with that arrangement.

Restores for population of test databases common (using Rman duplicate - a couple of bugs with earlier 8i but none too much trouble). In the time I was there, no other forms of recovery were required. Only hassles encountered was enterprise in the middle of a 8.0 => 8i.x => 8i.y => 9i style of migration which generated multiple RMAN catalogs in some instances.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald