Re: Which rights to create database ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 04:25:07 +1000

That sounds like sql server, right?

In which case, the first thing you have to appreciate is that what Oracle calls a database is not the same thing that SQL Server calls a database.

The nearest equivalent in Oracle to SQL Server's 'create database' command is 'create user'. Or possibly 'create tablespace', depending on how you look at things. Databases in SQL Server are used to separate out sets of tables & indexes from each other. Oracle uses the 'schema' to do that logically (and a schema, sort of, is just a user). And to do it physically, it uses the tablespace.

Have fun learning!
Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com