Re: Which rights to create database ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 02:57:31 +1000

Well, either you're not telling the full story or you are getting yourself a bit confused.

To create a database, you must be in the nomount state. I don't see your user scott there issuing the 'startup nomount' command. In which case, what's he connecting to? Hopefully not to an instance that is already perfectly happy managing an existing database?

Then I ask myself: what is this database going to be made up of? How big is the system datafile going to be? How many redo log groups is he creating? "Create database test" isn't anywhere near the full syntax, unless you are running 9i and have a number of auto options set in your init.ora.

If you just want to create a new database, I'd recommend the Database Configuration Assistant GUI tool that walks you through the entire process. Much simpler (since you mention neither your Oracle version nor your platform, I can't tell you how to run that tool. dbca will do it on Unix).

If you are after practising the manual way of doing it, I suspect you might need to read up on it a bit first. You need to set your environment variables, get a new init.ora into shape, decide on an authentication mechanism and implement it (ie, create a new password file if appropriate), then startup nomount, followed by the full 'create database' syntax:

create database X
datafile '/path/path/path/system01.dbf' size 100m autoextend on next 10m logfile group 1 '/path/path/path/log1a.rdo' size 10m,

          group 2 '/path/path/path/log2a.rdo' size 10m;

(That's not even the full syntax, because it's missing character set and national character set specifications, but at least it will work, given all the other preparation steps I mentioned).

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com