Re: Which rights to create database ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 01:57:21 +1000

grant sysdba to username will do it, provided (a) you are using a password file for privileged user authentication (b) the password file is an EXCUSIVE one, not a shared one and (c) you are under the ENTRIES limit set when the password file was created.

If any of those three conditions are not met, then the grant will fail.

If (a) is not true, then you must be using O/S authentcation, in which case adding the user into the appropriate O/S group will allow him or her to log on as a privileged user and issue create database commands.

If (b) is not true, then just tell your user the SYS as SYSDBA password.

If (c) is not true, delete the password file and re-create it using the orapwd utility and specifying a higher ENTRIES limit.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com