Re: Possible? Manually set EXPTIME in USER$ to set EXPIRY_DATE in DBA_USERS

From: Kai-Joachim Kamrath <kaikamrath_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:33:14 GMT

Hmmm... yes... by reading through the view definition for DBA_USERS I learnt a great deal about how Oracle answers the "when does this user's password expire?" question. Seems the USER$.EXPTIME column is *not* referenced when the user's account status is OPEN. Instead, an on-the-fly join is done to the definition of the user's PROFILE (in PROFILE$), where the appropriate LIMIT# value (which contains the password lifetime) is compared with the last date on which the user changed his/her password (in USER$.PTIME).

The net effect is that if you want to make a move from having no password expiration, to having one, you (a) necessarily have to use a PROFILE with a password lifetime; and (b) it's highly likely that the large majority of your users will *immediately* be expired when you implement the PROFILE.

So... I think the next thing I'll try is to set the PTIME in USER$. One way or another I'm trying to fool it into smoothing this transition.