Re: rollback segments

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_removetoemail_odbaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:20:30 +1000

If you need to split rollback segments between tablespaces it's probably more important to split by the type of workload. If possible having one tablespace to use for online users and another for batch jobs can work well. As rollback segments are assigned to users there is no concept of assigning them to each user tablespace. There is nothing wrong with using just one tablespace for the rollback segments if the database workload is not overloading the tablespaces underlying datafile access. It's far more important to have the right number of segments and to size them correctly. Ideally there should be one rollback segment for each simultaneously running process requiring use of rollback. Also rather than using auto shrink I believe that correctly sizing your segments to cope with your databases largest jobs.

Kind Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com