Re: How send an alert mail to someone with oracle ?

From: John Russell <netnews2_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:15:35 GMT

On 26 Mar 2002 07:01:31 -0800, fabien.simonetti_at_libertysurf.fr (popo) wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm French,
>I 'll need of yours aids with oracle 8i
>
>In fact, I have a few tablepaces
>I would like when one or more are satured, that the oracle server send me a mail ?

With Oracle8i, you can use the UTL_SMTP package to do the mail-sending piece:

http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.drilldown?remark=&word=utl_smtp&book=&preference=&method=LIKE&expand_all=1

Detecting the tablespace full condition is something you would need to do yourself. (Maybe via a trigger that detects the SERVERERROR condition? I'm not sure on that.)

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/appdev.817/a76939/adg14evt.htm#1001932

In Oracle9i, there is a feature called resumable space allocation to do exactly what you are looking for:

http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/db901/db901.drilldown?remark=&word=resumable&book=&preference=&vbook=1

It would "pause" the operation that caused the tablespace to fill up, and once you had fixed the space problem, the operation could continue.

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: