Re: How stable is Oracle 8.1.7. SuSE Linux 7.3 Professional

From: Buck Turgidson <xyz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:02:43 GMT

I've run Oracle on linux for about 3 years now, starting with 8.0.5. I now run 9i on Suse 7.2. The OS and Oracle are quite stable, although I would be leery of running a production system on it, unless you have good hardware with failover, RAID, etc. I run it on a cheap clone for learning purposes, and have no issues whatsoever.

If you're not experienced with Linux or Unix, you might find the install of both Oracle and Linux a bit frustrating, especially getting it networked. But it's doable, and you'll learn alot.

I downloaded the 9i software from technet.oracle.com, and it installed with no problems. I loaded each disk image into a separate sub-directory, IIRC.

I have found the following instructions to be very reliable and well-tested for 8i.

http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/