Re: Performance Question

From: N Carney <zxqwertyncarney_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 06:28:17 +0000 (UTC)

Gavin

Do you have the stats on DB_Block_size for both databases, the number of db_block_buffers (whether LRU latches have been set), what patch level Oracle is at (Oracle lists several performance improvements in patches for 8.1.7), what the number of Block buffer reads for the SQL are (both Dell and Sun) and the timing.

As you have said no physical reads the disks won't cause an issue with this problem.

Have you ensured there are no rogue processes on the Sun box (top, if installed, or prstat - Solaris 8) may be useful. I assume the data (and meta-data) is identical between the 2 servers.

If a very large number of data blocks are being scanned you might look at setting up some LRU's for the buffer cache.

Xeon (I assume pentium 3 based - as speed is 700MHz) runs at 100Mhz (unsure what CAS level you may have and whether ECC or not). Sparc 3 systems will have memory either running at 150Mhz (backplane speed for Sparc 3 processors) are a fraction of that maybe 50 or 75 MHz - I assume memory is ECC and again don't know the CAS level.

If Sun is ECC and Dell isn't that could account for a speed difference in Dell's favour. If Dell memory has a lower CAS that would also give it a memory advantage.

Hope this helps

Nathan