Re: Frequency of Hot Backups

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2002 13:49:27 -0800

In article <Xns91E18909E9FAASunnySD_at_68.6.19.6>, Ban says...

>Assume that the instance is running in archive mode.
>
>What is the frequency your organization does hot backups?

only you can answer that. It is a function of how many*how big your archives are and how long you want a media recovery to take in the event you need to do one.

If your MTTR is 1 hour, you might be doing backups lots more then someone who has a day.

It is purely a question of how long do you want a restore from a backup of a damaged file to take.

>If you have a "stand by" database against which you
>keep applying archived redo logfile, in theory you
>would/could/should never have to take another backup.
>Right?

wrong..

you would be missing the ability to do a point in time recovery to a prior point in time... I would still be backing up that database. If you are paranoid (not that thats a BAD thing mind you) enough to run a standby, having the tertiary backup should make you sleep even easier at night.

>So what is the longest "reasonable" period between
>actual Oracle hot backups?

if you are a data warehouse that does monthly loads and infrequent/small updates during the month -- maybe monthly is good for you.

If you are a high end oltp system that generates gobs of redo all day and cannot afford down time -- perhaps every day is good for you.