Re: Frequency of Hot Backups

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:58:42 +0100

answers embedded

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:28:02 GMT, Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com> wrote:

>Assume that the instance is running in archive mode.
>
>What is the frequency your organization does hot backups?

daily

>If you have a "stand by" database against which you
>keep applying archived redo logfile, in theory you
>would/could/should never have to take another backup.
>Right?

No

A standby database is a mechanism to reduce downtime in case of crash.
In itself it doesn't prevent crash.
Assume disaster really strikes: your production database and your standby database are both in the same server room. The server room burns down. If you have no backup, preferably located in a datashelter outside your building, how are you going to recover from that?

>So what is the longest "reasonable" period between
>actual Oracle hot backups?

Depends on

- the activity of your database
- the disk space you have to store archived redo log files
- whether you can afford to 'loose' data
- how much downtime you can suffer
- how long a restore and recovery takes. I only run into situations
where this scenario invariably hasn't been tested at all

So the correct answer to your last question heavily depends on tested procedures and knowledge acquired during the test. I'm not sure anyone will be capable to provide the answer you seem to be searching for like

'one day'
'one week'
'one month'

etc.

Just my 2 eurocents

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Mar 30 2002 - 15:58:42 CST