Re: 9i Partitioned Fine Grain Access Control ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:24:42 +1000

FGAC works by establishing a policy on a table (if you are a salesman, add a 'where salesrepno=X', for example, of 'if you are a customer, add a 'where custcode=Y'). If you had multiple policies, then they were 'AND'ed together. Which meant that if you wanted your sales people AND your customers to access your orders table, you were in deep doo-doo. You had to construct a single complicated policy that could weed out one bunch of people from the other, and do the appropriate thing.

Partitioned FGAC means that you can have multiple independent policies on the table. From your details, determined at log on, we work out which policy should apply to you, and set a context for you accordingly. All queries are then executed within that context, and only the relevant where predicate is appended. No "AND'ing, no complicated single policies.

It's not a fundamental change, just a subtle one that makes FGAC much more usable and configurable.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com

http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/server.901/a88856/c2 4privs.htm#4525