Re: What to do? - When optimizer hints cannot be added

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2002 08:03:51 -0800

In article <0kbp8.385$Og6.43195_at_news02.tsnz.net>, "Kyle" says...

>Never used Plan Stability. Doesn't the statement thrown at you by the 3rd
>party app have to match character for character to the one stored in the
>outline - hints and all? If it does, I can't see this working.....as the
>hint would have to be in the 3rd party generated statement.
>
>Would be interested in an answer from someone who has used outlines.
>
>Thanks,
>Kyle

I outline exactly how to do this in my book if you are interested.. In short, you would

o use an on logon trigger to enable SQL statement capturing (save the generated plans into the dictionary)

o after you capture the SQL query as submitted by 3rd party app, you would work on getting the "plan" better. I go through a couple of ways to do this in 8i including

o save that better plan

o remove all of the queries you don't want to "fix" from the outline tables

o change the on logon trigger to USE the saved plans instead of generating the saved plans

In 9i -- it gets much easier. OEM has a GUI "query plan editor" that'll let you edit the saved plan without having to "fake it out". steps would be the same -- logon trigger to capture the sql/plans -- edit plan -- logon trigger to use the plans.