Re: What to do? - When optimizer hints cannot be added

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2002 22:07:26 -0600

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, 1443131_at_usenetplanet.com wrote:

> Let's say you have tables that are already designed well for optimal
> performance (table partitions, indexes, materialized views, and so
> on). Also, let's say there are some queries that are doing full
> tablescans very badly and you know what hints to add to make them work
> better. However, there are some situations where you cannot change
> the queries: such as when the queries are coming from third-party
> applications. What can we do in such case? Thank you in advance.

I would guess that Optimizer Plan Stability would allow for this. (My take on this feature is that you create a plan in another instance that fits the plan you want and then you export that to the instance you are working on). I haven't used it so maybe the experts can comment?

--
Galen deForest Boyer