Re: Backup methods

From: Glen A Stromquist <gstrom_at_nosppamtelusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:15:01 GMT

It sounds like a cold backup would suffice for your needs right now, but either a cold or a hot are fairly easy to do.

Use SQL to create a dynamic script do that if/when you move/add datafiles etc. you wont have to worry about editing your scripts to accomodate the changes you make.

You can apply your archived redo logs to a database recovered by either a cold or a hot backup to the point of failure, you just need the control file as it was at the point of failure, which is no problem because you have at least 2, preferably 3 copies of it on different disks right?.

If recovering to the "point of failure" is not critical to you, then importing from an export is ok, although its not the way I'd do it. And you don't really need the database in archivelog mode if thats the case.

There are plenty of scripts out there to generate your backup scripts from the data dictionary, but IMO it is just as easy to write one on your own as it is to modify one that someone else has written.

hth