Re: Oracle Data Warehousing, UNIX and large file-enabled file systems

From: James A. Williams <willjamu_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:22:20 GMT

On 25 Mar 2002 11:37:04 -0800, don.gillespie_at_mts.mb.ca (Don Gillespie) wrote:

I recently built a .5 TB datawarehouse on Sun. With Veritas VXFS you can get close to raw performance with the mount options with or without Quick I/O. Managing RAW devices is a pain in the ying yang! Users very pleased!

Big issues inlcude stripe sizes, stripe sets, and max io size. This is very important as your DW will do lots of large sequential reads. You did not say how reguarly you would update it.

Use:

CBO
Local tablespaces
Parallel I/O at 8.1.7.3 and higher have fewer problems. Direct Loads if possible
16K blocksize (highest on Solaris)
Materialized views
Bitmap indexes
Paritioning.
Create diminisions to better influence the STAR TRANSFORMATION.

Review Oracle Datawarehousing guide

Export is gonna be slow but it can be done.