Re: New to Oracle

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:57:14 -0400

The concepts document is good if you have other programming knowledge if not it jumps around too much for a true beginner. I have not read Jonathan Lewis's book yet, but Tom Kyte's book is not good for a beginner. It assumes you know quite a bit.

When learning Oracle, you generally want to start with the two programming languages. Then you learn basic architecture(you will get that in the concepts document).

Try the ORACLE PL/SQL and ORACLE SQL workbooks from Prentice hall. Lots of excercises and a sample database.

You can go to otn.oracle.com and download the 9i database for free and buy it for $40.